With the 2020 NFL Draft right around the corner, teams are putting the final touches on their draft boards. While this draft will be different, being conducted virtually, there’s still the same intrigue. Here’s a look at some of the AFC East Draft Notes.
Draft Notes: Miami Dolphins
- Dolphins enter the 2020 NFL Draft with the most picks (14), including three in the first round and six in the top-70.
- Miami spent $235 million on 10 free agents recently, most on the defensive side of the ball. Dolphins surrendered a franchise-record 494 points in 2019. They registered the fewest sacks and allowed the most touchdown passes. Despite, the money spent on free agents, Miami will still look for help on defense early in the draft.
- Dolphins will make a Top-5 pick for only the fifth time since 1967. Team history is spotty that high. Picks include Dion Jordan (3rd in 2013), Jake Long (1st in 2008), Ronnie Brown (2nd in 2005) and Bob Griese (4th in 1967).
- Miami needs: QB, OT, IOL, DT, S
More Grier on draft board: "We have an idea on who we like, but we have to make sure we have all of the information. … Once we do, we'll set the final board. It's the same process we've had every year."— Adam Beasley (@AdamHBeasley) April 16, 2020
Draft Notes: New York Jets
- Jets hold eight picks in the draft, including No. 11 overall and two third round picks.
- New York addressed interior offensive line needs in free agency with the signings of Connor McGovern and Greg Van Roten, but they still need an offensive tackle.
- Jets have been linked to Georgia OT Andrew Thomas, as well as Jedrick Wills and Mekhi Becton.
- NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport expects the run on wide receivers to start with New York at No. 11 or Las Vegas at No. 12.
- Jets could part ways with safety Jamal Adams via trade.
The Jets entertained offers for All-Pro safety Jamal Adams at last year’s trade deadline; might be a name to monitor again during draft week. https://t.co/ScBUoLoiVr— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 17, 2020
Draft Notes: Buffalo Bills
- Bills addressed major need at wide receiver with the trade for Stefon Diggs. They surrendered four picks in the deal, including No. 22 overall in 2020.
- Buffalo signed DE Mario Addison, DT Vernon Butler, LB A.J. Klein and DB Josh Norman in free agency. All had ties to head coach Sean McDermott from time in Carolina.
- Bills offense scored 21 or more points only six times in 2019, so draft focus could look to add offensive weapons.
- Needs: LB, DB, DE, RB; Picks: 54, 86, 128, 167, 188, 207, 239
Draft Notes: New England Patriots
- For the first time in 20 years, Patriots have no clear starting quarterback thanks to Tom Brady‘s free agency departure to Tampa Bay. 23-year-old Jarrett Stidham sits atop depth chart. Team signed veteran Brian Hoyer as well.
- Bill Belichick has made 77 draft-day trades with Patriots.
- Belichick called 2020 quarterbacks an “interesting group and probably one that has decent depth.”
- Patriots lost LBs Kyle Van Noy (Miami), Jamie Collins (Detroit) and Elandon Roberts (Detroit) in free agency. Could target LSU LB Patrick Queen.
- Needs: QB, LB, TE, WR, DL, OL; 12 picks, including No. 23, three third rounders, four sixth rounders.